3124 Q Street NW, Bowie/Sevier House
The Bowie-Sevier House; Q Street, NW – Washington, D.C.
The Federal period mansion was rehabilitated, modernized, and expanded in collaboration with the architects, the builder, and historic preservationists. while preserving the historic elements. The original structure was built in 1808 by Washington Bowie and has seen many additions and modifications dating from 1810. It is on the District of Columbia Inventory of Historic Sites, in Georgetown Heights.
The 15,000 square foot 3-story mansion has seven bedrooms, eight baths, and ten fireplaces in the main house. The east wing townhouse, with a separate basement apartment, has an additional four bedrooms and three and a half baths.
The rehabilitation included temporary support of historic brick facades, removal of a load bearing brick wall, and underpinning of existing foundations. The structural site work required coordination to preserve historic trees and bushes while adding an outdoor pool entertainment area.
Interior features of the home include an indoor pool, a solarium, and a cylindrical staircase.