French Ambassador’s Residence
The Residence of the Ambassador of France – Washington, DC
The French Ambassador’s Residence was built in 1910 by renowned architect Jules Henri de Sibour and is located in the Sheridan-Kalorama Historic District. The structure has served as home to the Ambassador since 1936 and as a reception locale for dinners, receptions, and social parties, receiving over 10,000 guests annually.
The project to rehabilitate the historic structure included preliminary site surveys and structural evaluations for Code compliance. These initial studies and evaluations were followed by schematic and conceptual designs, and construction document production, with structural input for the requirements of other disciplines.
Additional field explorations were performed to investigate the implications to load paths of previous renovations, particularly with respect to vaulted Guastavino arches above the first floor ceilings.
- Size: 23,000 SF